Monday 10 October 2011

Chinese Pop

To my dear followers~
this is my last personal post, i hope that my past 2 post have opened your ears to new musical experiences. My last post gave me trouble since I couldn’t think of anything to talk about. But going from my usual theme of Asian music culture I’ve decided to introduce everyone to Cpop also known as Chinese Pop.
Just like Kpop or Jpop it’s very similar. Maybe the only difference is the language haha. I joke, I think there’s much more to it then that! And that is why I am writing this post.

Cpop is a music genre which consists of artists which originated from Mainland china, Hong Kong and Taiwan. The term Cpop not only covers the pop genre but also R&B, ballads, Chinese hip hop and Chinese ambient music.
For this post I will give examples from each country, I’ll try to make it short and simple as possible ^^

Taiwan
Taiwan is considered as part of Cpop since they sometimes sing some form of Chinese dialect. They have many known artist such as: S.H.E, Show Luo, Jolin Tsai, Fahrenheit and many more.





The first song is called Ting ma ma de hua (Listen to your mother’s words) by a Taiwanese singer named Jay Chou. You may have recognised him from the film Green Hornet where he plays Kato. Listen to your mother’s words has a playful up beat music and meaningful lyrics basically telling you all to listen to your mother’s words. In other words he is basically lecturing you but in a fun up beat way (^▽^)
You might not have heard of Jay Chou before but you may find this song familiar. I can’t say that for all of course, but for me, I had no idea who Jay Chou was, but when I heard this song, it was familiar.

Mainland China
Mainland China is of course apart of the Cpop genre. I was researching for some mainland Chinese pop but it was hard, I found lots of Taiwanese singers but not so much Mainland Chinese pop singers. Then finally I found a pop group called “Top Combine” …see the work I do for you guys? :( haha I joke I’m also on this musical learning experience with you guys ・~ヾ(゚ー^*)


to me I found the song to be similar to Korean pop group DBSK, for some reason it didn’t appeal to me as much, but it was still ok to listen to.

Hong Kong
Hong kong is an example of one of the chinese dialect, which is considered to be apart of the Cpop genre.

For this I have chosen a very famous person for you guys to listen to, You may know him from such films as rush hour and Shanghai knight. If you guys haven’t guessed it yet its Jackie Chan!!




For those who had no idea that Jackie chan could sing, He can! Hes not only an excellent martial artist/actor he is also a singer. You may have recognised that the song is from the hit Disney movie Mulan. For those who haven’t…I guess you learn something new everyday haha :D
When I first listened to the song, I thought it was weird but as it kept on playing I started to find it cool, I think its because of the video LOL (^~^;)
What did you guys think? Did you find it interesting that Jackie Chan sang? I know I did :P

So to wrap up my post, I hope this was informative yet enjoyable to read =D
Until next time guys ~
Peace
Ann <3

No comments:

Post a Comment